How-to structure data

Hello PimCore-Guys,

Thanks for such a great opensource product! It’s probably a tough question, expecting no solution just some ideas from your experience.

I’m questioning myself how I setup related data the best way. I sort all related data into folders in the object they belong to. I already realised that this might be not the best way for example the Rest-API, list children, but no folder contents, so it’s quite a thing to get this data out again.

So it looks like this at the moment:

• Product1
    • Folder for Object2
      • Object2
      • Object2
    • Folder for Object3
  • Product2
    • Folder for Object2
    • Folder for Object3
  • Product3
    • Folder for Object2
    • Folder for Object3

What are the caveats of such a structure and should I probably better store them flat and create object relations?
My idea was, to keep related stuff together instead of splitting it far apart to make it easier for users. E.g. any Object2 belonging to Product1 would never end up in Product2. I don’t create hrefs in Product1 for Object2, but should I do so even if they are sorted underneath?

I also got certain core-data/shared objects, I’m storing on the same level as my products sorted into folders. So are used as hrefs.

I’ve read the documentation and the board up and down, analysed all examples but couldn’t find other PIM implementations which are not either ecommerce-oriented or cms examples.

Developing ain’t an issue, so I don’t need any click and go solution.

Would be glad to hear from you guys!

Regards,
Misha

So. Another idea I got into my mind.

I create perspectives showing only my actual products, Object2, Object3 and so are actually outside of the folder where my products are stored.

If a product has Object2 or Object3 I use a many-to-many relation to add them within the products view. But that means, I need to somehow manage the creation process without forcing the user to select a parent folder when the user wants to add a new Object2.

I don’t know, just so many things to consider. Haven’t thought that figuring out data structure in a PIM is that fuzzy. :smiley: