Unable To Install Pimcore 5 - Out Of Memory

Hi all, I am having problems installing Pimcore 5 due to Composer Fatal Out Of Memory Errors around 85% compleation and was wondering if there is any alternative ways to install Pimcore 5? I ask because I am on a VPS server and along with my hosting support we have tried many different approaches to correct this problem but to no avail. I have set the memory_limit up to as high as 6G and the installation still fails. I am not a developer so I am at a loss for what I should try next. I have also had my hosting support look into this issue (LiquidWeb) and they have not been able to come up with a solution to this problem. We have also tried temporarily setting the memory to memory_limit=-1 but still no luck. Can anyone here help me find a fix to get around this problem and get Pimcore installed please? Or is there any other possibilities available to install Pimcore 5? Again I am not a developer so please go easy on me if there is some stupid little detail I am overlooking or missing but again I won’t feel so bad if there is because as I said, my host has been looking into and working on this with me now for 3 Days. Thank you in advance.

I forgot to add the following information.

These are the out of memory errors I am getting.

Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 365948928) (tried to allocate 232783904 bytes) in phar:///opt/cpanel/composer/bin/composer/src/Composer/Util/RemoteFilesystem.php on line 300

Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 455090176) (tried to allocate 18874368 bytes) in phar:///opt/cpanel/composer/bin/composer/src/Composer/DependencyResolver/RuleSet.php on line 90

Have you tried to install it like it’s recommended on GitHub (with setting COMPOSER_MEMORY_LIMIT=3G )?

If not, try:

COMPOSER_MEMORY_LIMIT=3G composer install

Yes I have tried that not only with 3G but up to 6G and -1. I have also set PHP.ini to 6G. Nothing is getting me past this out of memory error. It’s surly a head scratcher.

That’s really strange because I once got exactly the same error and solved it by appending the composer env var to the command… :confused:

Which version of composer are you running?
If not the latest, perform a composer self-update

I am not at my computer at the moment but it’s somewhere along the lines of version 1.7.1. I went through the update steps and even took it a step further and activated auto update checked “composer diagnose” and found the keys were missing so I added the public keys checked “composer diagnose” again and everything reported “ok” after that. It’s really got me scratching my head. I even went a step further and installed PimCore version 4 available on scriptalocious and the install went smooth and PimCore ran without a problem. I removed that and Installed it again manually using SSH and again installation was smooth and without problems. I am really at a loss here.

So this is where I am at with my issue. My host has advised me that my VPS is 4G of memory and I have about 1.5G being used which is why I am running out of memory during the install. Is it possible for me to start out with version 4 and just upgrade to version 5 immediately after as a work around to the out of memory problem? Does it still require the same 3G to run an update? Also if there is a chance I can get around the problem using this method how hard is it for a beginner to update PimCore?

hm, no that is not possible.
what you could do is, execute composer create-project pimcore/demo-ecommerce my-project locally and then upload all your files to the server and resume installation of pimcore there…

BR
christian

I have the same Promblem here. But I try to install it locally on a windows maschine. I do the same stuff like imxweb.

Composer version = 1.7.1
php Version = 7.2.7

@Eioxin on Windows, try:

php -d memory_limit=3G C:\ProgramData\ComposerSetup\bin\composer.phar create-project pimcore/skeleton my-project

For me switching to a x64 php version fixed the problem on windows 2012R2. (Latest build with VC15)